Extended Essay: The aspect of the IB which some students hate and some love. One of the biggest keys to the Extended Essay is choosing which subject you want to write your work in and developing that crucial research question. Annoyingly, coming up with that idea and research question can be the toughest part of the entire process. Writing 4,000 words about something you are interested in is a big ask and it often feels impossible to narrow down your thoughts. To make everything super clear, here are 100 Extended Essay Topics for you to draw inspiration from! Use these as a springboard to create your own research question!
- How change the change of habitat affect an X organism?
- How does climate affect the growth of X plant?
- Can photosynthesis take place without sunlight?
- What is the effect of age and gender on the photoreceptor cells in the human retina?
- How is climate change impacting the appearance of coral reefs?
- An evaluation of how antioxidants work in our bodies?
- Does hand sanitizer, hand soap or antibacterial wipes have the greatest ability to inhibit the growth of E. Coli?
- To what extent do live cultures in yogurts/milk/other dairy products reduce the concentration of lactose present over the course of a 2 hour incubation period at x°C?
- What is the relationship between population density between X and population size of X?
- What is the relationship between indoleacetic acid, a growth hormone, and the growth of X (a crop)?
- How does human influence impact an aquatic ecosystem?
- How can one organize a pollution check along a X canal in X?
- What is the effect of the increased ecological footprint in the Amazon?
- What are the forest and woodland restoration in Siberia, Russia and which one is most effective?
- How does human interference cause ecological imbalances in an X city/country/continent?
- What is the impact of urban development on the bee population in X city?
- What are the differences in the conversation efforts in Yosemite National Park (California, USA) and the Lake District National Park (UK)?
- To what extent have healthcare policies in X country influenced their human population curve?
- How have changes in internal and external factors influenced the environmental value system of X country?
- How has X landfill site affected the surrounding terrestrial ecosystem?
- What is the profitability of airline companies?
- How does unemployment affect the market?
- Why did X recession occur?
- How did the financial Policy affect the economy in X?
- How effective are government policies in reducing overconsumption of alcohol (specifically hard liquor)?
- To what extent are public buses and subways substitute goods in a country?
- How did the tax reform in country x affect its growth and development? (many countries to choose from)
- To what extent was weak government policy responsible for the Latin American financial crisis of 1997?
- How effective is the Big Mac Index in measuring purchasing power parity?
- To what extent will the UK suffer from leaving the European Customs Union?
- Is there an association between viewing violence on television and the display of violent acts?
- What motivational climate should a coach employ in order to achieve optimal performance in athletes?
- How does X hormone affect human behavior?
- Compare theories explaining altruism in human behaviour
- Discuss short-term and long-term consequences of exposure to violence
- Why do relationships change or end?
- Discuss how social variables (poverty, parenting, educational environment) may affect cognitive environment
- To what extent do mirror neurons play a role in empathy? (2014)
- To what extent does Mindfulness help people cope with General Anxiety Disorder (GAD)?
- To what extent is drug therapy effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder?
- Does the British Parliamentary reforms act of 1832 deserve it’s title as the great reform act
- To what extent are there similarities in Hitler and Mussolini’s Rise to Power?
- To what extent did Mao’s tackle the problems which he faced
- Was Tsar Alexander II of Russia reforms a success or failure?
- To what extent was the bombing of Dresden in 1945 justifiable?
- To what extent can Sweden be considered neutral during WWII?
- Impact of structural economic weakness on the collapse of the Soviet Union
- How were women treated differently in 1920s and 1950s Great Britain?
- Why did Israel win the Six Day War of 1967?
- What role did economics play in the unification of Germany from 1834 to 1871?
- What are the Compare and Contrast Jane Austen Books
- How does Joseph Conrad’s portray Racism in A Heart of Darkness?
- How does Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman critique today’s capitalist society? The American Dream?
- To what extent does Chris McCandless in Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild escape familial influence?
- What are the similarities and differences between J.K. Rowling’s characterization of Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
- How does Yaa Gyasi use structure in her novel Homegoing to portray the evolution of time?
- What is the impact of the social context on Holden Caufield and Huckleberry Finn?
- How does Sylvia Path’s use of Inanimate objects in Bell Jar?
- How is the empowerment of Feminine portrayed in the Lord of the Rings?
- Compare the political rhetoric as used in the inaugural addresses of George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump
- The design, construction and calibration of an apparatus for measuring lipid concentration in milk
- What is the effect of a change in optimal lift on the horizontal gliding distance of an aircraft?
- How does the sugar concentration affect the refractive index of water?
- How does temperature affect the viscosity of X juice/soda?
- Is the relationship between temperature and conductivity and insulators and conductors?
- What is the Oberth Effect?
- What is the temperature dependence of work performed on an AA battery?
- How can the rotational frequency of a fan driven by a flame measure distance?
- Do wine bottles of different shapes behave as Helmholtz resonators?
- How does the diameter of a wheel affect stability in different weather conditions?
- What factors influence the location of industries in country/city X?
- An investigation into the significance of preserving the quality of water in a continent/country/city?
- An investigation into the degree to which City x can be considered a Sustainable City/community
- To what extent is Biodiversity being managed successfully in city x ?
- To what extent does the education and employment of women affect Country x’s fertility rate
- To what extent do gender, educational attainment, and working parameters influence obesity risk?
- To what extent has urban development affected human thermal comfort levels in Country/city x (a country/city that has developed in a rapid rate over the past decades)?
- To what extent is the Company x corporate waste management program effective, demonstrating environmental sustainability?
- To what extent is biodiversity being managed successfully at National Park X?
- What types of urban design encourage high rates of vandalism of X neighborhoods?
- Kinetics of Enzymatic Reactions
- How does Iron Intake Diets differ in X country?
- What are the different factors that affect the iodine values in cooking oils?
- What is the effect of standing time and temperate on the acid content in X juice or soda?
- Can caffeine in tea or coffee be reduced?
- What is the effect of temperature on the souring of milk?
- What are the sources of error in calorimetry?
- Does brushing your teeth affect the pH in your mouth after eating?
- How does changing the concentration of the reagents affect the formation and spacing between Liesehang rings in the reaction between X chloride and X when conducted in a test tube?
- What effect does the coating of aspirin tablets have on the hydrolysis of aspirin?